Friday 17 August 2012

Let's Try and Relive the 60's (With A Few Adjustments)

Or so they tell me since I wasn't born until thirty years later, but if I had to switch decades I would love to have been a teenager in the 60's. The only way I get to relive it is by the movies, and one I believe that captures how cool the 60's was has to be Hairspray. The lack of equality for people that are different, the fashion and the characters capture my interest for the full film.



After watching this movie for what seems like the 100th time, I wondered what school was like back then and how the female role model of their day was Jackie Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe. And hows this shows in their fashion choices such as full dresses, tight clothes and big hair. Or how the boys of this generation wore tight fitting suits (that are in fashion now), and slicked back hair, and as the movie points out lots of hairspray.


And I for one miss this sense of style. Going to both British and American schools, our dress does not quite meet up to the criteria of our ancestors. I would love to wear the full dresses like the girls on The Corny Collins Show wear, and the boys to wear the suits that they show in this film. I think it shows structure, promise and a sense of togetherness. I hope this is the way the future is heading because lets face it we get our best fashion ideas from the past. #truestory.






No comments:

Post a Comment